Sunday, December 14, 2008

A sheep in wolves clothing...

So, after my exam this morning, I proceeded to walk to my car. This black guy that was 20 years old as I later found out rode his bike past me. After riding about another 30 feet, he made a U-turn and stopped in front of me. At this point, I was like "Aww shit"... in my head. He tells me, "Yo, whattup, I got a proposition for you." I say, "Yeah, what's that?" He replies, "I'll give you $40 right now to take me to Burke Road because I have to get something authenticated for my aunt in 20 minutes." I know the area and I know that it's impossible to get to Burke Road via bike in 20 minutes. It was 16 minutes just driving there. I don't know exactly if he used the word authenticated, but I just know it was some paper work.

Anyway, at this point, my face is like a deer in headlights as I think to myself that I'm about to get shot the hell up because this cat has some grungy ass jeans, a big ass hoody, and on top of that was one of them flight jackets. His was olive. Oh, and he had some ashy ass knuckles. I was like man, this cat might be homeless and might try to jack me right now. Then, at that moment, some lady drives by and asks me where Innovation Hall was. I told the guy "Hold on." Then, I told the lady how to get there and that parking in lot A was free today, so it was cool. So, she drives away, and I get back to the dude. I saved myself about 20 seconds thanks to the lady so that I could think about the potential consequences. Somehow, I was able to think about these things and answer the lady at the same time.

But yeah, I end up telling the guy, "Look here, F off!" Just kidding, folks haha. I told him, "Look, you don't have to pay me the $40. I can take you. That's along my route anyway. What are we gonna do with your bike though?" He tells me, "Could we put it in your car? This is my homie's bike, so I don't just want to leave it here." I agree and say, "Okay, that's fine. Hopefully it can fit in my car because I got a small ass car. It's a hatchback." So, as we're walking to my car, he introduces himself. He tells me his name is Noel. Likewise, I introduce myself to him. I ask him if he dorms at GMU. He said that he hadn't even started going to college yet, but he should be a sophomore right now. He also told me that he was really into basketball in high school and watched the GMU basketball team all the time and wanted to play for the school, "but some things in life just don't work out the way we want them to." I said, "Yeah, man. No doubt." Then he says, "Yo, I'm really surprised and thankful that you're doing this. Many people wouldn't have even glanced my way because of the clothes that I'm wearing and because I'm young. I swear I'm not a trouble-maker or anything. I'm like a sheep in wolves clothing." I told him, "I'm different from most people. I have faith in humanity and give people my trust until they lose it unlike other people who make you earn their trust." He proceeded to nod at that.

Finally, we got to my car. I suddenly remembered that I could flatten my backseats, so that helped a lot. I shoved all of my shoes, football, basketball, and books out of the way to make space for his bike. I had to push the passenger seat all the way up in order to fit the bike. Even then, my hatch wouldn't close. He was like why don't we just leave it open? I said, "Na, all my stuff will fall out." So, I asked him if he could sit in the open area and just pull my hatch semi-closed until we got to the place. Thank God for the little handle on the inside of my hatch because that made it easier for him to keep it closed. The whole ride, we were talking about the music that was playing (Clipse - 'Til the Casket Drops Mixtape), why they weren't selling, and how most rappers spit stuff that they don't live. Of course, it's entertainment. Anyway, he told me that he made music, too. I asked him, "Do you produce? Or rap?" He said, "Oh I rap. I've made a few beats, too, but I mostly rap." He told me he had a song about a lesbian girlfriend haha. He was like, "Yeah, she's one of them dominant types that be dressing like a dude, but her body is fine though." I was rollin' from that. I was like "Good shit, man." During this whole time, he'd give me directions and what streets to look out for next.

Near the end of our ride, he thanked me again and told me how much of a blessing it was for him and how much he appreciated it. I told him, "Don't sweat it, man. I'm just here to help in any oppurtunity that God puts in front of me. If I'm helping someone, I know he won't put me in any sort of danger, and I'll be rewarded someday for being faithful." I couldn't believe myself what was coming out of my mouth. I usually have to think hours about that type of stuff like I do before a talk for youth. I usually gotta prepare like crazy, but I guess that's what happens when you speak from the heart. So, I'm hoping, if that guy wasn't close with God before, I helped to light a fire in his heart today that showed that there is hope in people as long as they have love for God. If he didn't have a relationship with God before, hopefully after displaying my faithfulness today, he'll develop a relationship with God. I can only pray.

Anyway, once I dropped him off, I helped him get his bike out of my trunk and dapped him up and wished him safety on his way back. Oh yeah, I asked him if he needed a ride back home, but he said I had already done enough. He then asked me for my number since we might be on campus at the same time and he can give me a sample CD of his music haha. He ended up not having his phone though, so I got his number instead. I texted him a few minutes ago to make sure that he got back safely. He said that he did and thanked me again. I'm happy that I got to help that dude today. It taught me not to judge anyone by how they look like ever again. There's good present in everybody.

1 comment:

esorimit said...

good read man. this is one of the reasons why you inspire me. thanks.